Become a visitor
Visitors are the heart and soul of the ACA standards program. Without them we would have no way to implement the accreditation program. There are no costs to you except your time. You will want to check out the qualifications and responsibilities for both the Associate Visitor and Lead Visitor, which can be found on the job descriptions below.
Steps for becoming a Visitor:
- Review the Associate Visitor and Visitor job descriptions.
- Be a current ACA individual member.
- Complete the Basic Standards Course (5 to 6 hours) or if applicable, the Standards Update Course.
- Acknowledge and accept the Conflict of Interest Statement for ACA Standards Volunteers (see job description).
- Complete and submit an Associate Visitor Application; Submissions can be sent to Kim Steiner, Program Specialist, at email@example.com. Application must first be approved by local standards chair prior to registering for the Associate Visitor Course.
- The above steps must be completed at least 3 weeks prior to any Associate Visitor Course
- Complete the Associate Visitor Course. This course includes a 2 hour online course and a 10 to 12 hour in person course.
- Upon completion of the course, instructor recommendation, and local leadership approval, applicants will be ready to serve as an Associate Visitor.
A Chance to Save Money
- Save $105 a year on ACA membership.
- How else can you leave your camp during the summer and visit another camp while it is in operation! You may read about programming in Camping Magazine and even listen to a colleague explain how a program works, but it is so much better to see the program in operation.
- You will see first hand how other camps accomplish their missions and reach their goals. See how they make it work in day to day operation.
- Get tips and ideas your can use in your own camp. This is good rationale to share with your supervisor or board.
- Our children deserve the best. ACA is dedicated to enriching the lives of children and adults through the camp experience. When you help more camps become and maintain their accreditation, you play a very significant part in fulfilling our ACA mission.
- It's a way to give something back. You have learned so much about how to operate a quality camp through the accreditation program, now you have a way to make sure that others can have the same chance for knowledge and growth as you have had.
- This is a voluntary educational program operated by trained visitors who are volunteers. If the association had to pay for standards visitors, the program would become very costly and your share of the fees would increase dramatically.
- I'm interested. Connect me with my local ACA office or standards chair so I can learn more.
Associate Visitor Couses
At this time we do not have courses scheduled. Because the standards are getting re-vamped we have decided to postpone Associate Visitor Training until the new trainings are rolled out in the fall of 2018. If you would like to be a visitor and be looped into communication send us an message thru the contact form below and we will make sure you are on our radar as we continue to receive updates and information. Thank you for your patience!